Beard trimming is a daily routine for most men. But, this necessary round can be tough when you have to deal with skin irritation every day. That’s why you need an electric beard trimmer that caters to your delicate skin. Unlike a razor, which we’ve compiled a buying guide for in another article, this trimmer will not irritate your sensitive skin or give you a rash. Again, there are no accidental cuts that result in nasty bruises. How do such beard trimmers work? And, what are the features of a typical beard trimmer for sensitive skin? Here is a quick guide:
How It Works
A beard trimmer for sensitive skin avoids a very close shave. That way, there is no risk of getting folliculitis or having some ingrown hairs. Also, they use the latest technology allowing you to adjust the blade for the hair length that you want. This length change would vary between 0.5mm and 10mm.
Attributes of the Best Beard Trimmer for Sensitive Skin
A beard trimmer for sensitive skin ought to be effective yet gentle on your sensitive skin. Use the following criteria to choose one:
Are you maintaining a goatee, light beard, mustache, or stubble? Then, choose the right trimmer for your style. The trimmers vary in length settings and guide comb attachments to suit your type of facial hair. For example, a long beard needs a bigger guide comb. In contrast, a 5 o’clock shadow calls for close trim attachments.
The length settings of a beard trimmer determine the size of the facial hair that you can use it on. It also determines the precision level you can achieve. For, you choose the length you want, then lock the settings to that level. Some beard trimmers have up to 20 length settings.
A beard trimmer must have top-notch blade quality and motor capacity. These are the factors that determine its price. Indeed, it ought to trim facial hair the way you want it without pulling. An ideal trimmer uses an efficient motor. Such a tool has a low noise level.
The blade composition, sharpness, and speed are essential. Ground steel blades have more definite teeth than stamped ones. They are sharp and will hold their edges well. Besides, beard trimmers with double or triple blades trim faster. These blades have tight spacing between them.
Next, an ideal trimmer for sensitive skin should be able to shave without a guard. This way, it can approximate and cut the facial hair close to the cuticle without irritating.
Corded vs. Cordless
A cordless beard trimmer uses rechargeable batteries that charge fast. These batteries can be AA or AAA. Cordless trimmers work well in a wet environment like a bathroom. Yet, some of these models operate when connected to a power supply.
In contrast, corded trimmers ought to have a long cord for ease of maneuvering and storage. These models are excellent for travel.
Ease of Use, Cleaning and Maintenance
An ideal beard trimmer ought to be easy to use on a day-to-day basis. Hence, get one with an ergonomic design offering a firm grip. The trimmer should have convenient accessories like a charging dock. Next, detachable beard trimmers are easy to clean. You can remove the blades and guards and wash them in running water separately. Other trimmers are waterproof.
Wahl Stainless Steel Lithium Ion+ Beard and Nose Trimmer for Men
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Very versatile
- Has a lithium-ion rechargeable battery
Do you prefer using a beard trimmer that is gentle on all types of body hair? Then, consider the Wahl Stainless Steel Lithium Ion+ Beard and Nose Trimmer for Men. Indeed, it uses precise blades suitable for sensitive skin. Hence, it serves as a beard, stubble, and detailing trimmer. The set of patented self-sharpening edges can trim all types of hair and length. The quiet operation uses a powerful motor for the best results. Use it on your stubble, sideburns, nose, moustaches, ears, or any other body hair
- Self-sharpening stainless steel cordless trimmer
- 13 lock length settings from 1/16” to 1”
- 4 hours cordless use, 1 hour charging time
- Attachments include a T-Blade, Rotary Personal Trimmer, Detail Shaver, and a Detail Trimmer
- Uses lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- 12 guide combs
- Dry use only
- 5-year warranty
What We Like
- All in one men’s grooming kit
- Has high precision stainless steel blades for faster trims
- Excellent in outlining the edges
- Durable construction
- Will not pull your hair in the process
- Ergonomic design with a firm grip
- Dual voltage battery excellent for travel
- Retails with a four multipurpose attachments
Philips Norelco OneBlade Face + Body Trimmer QP2630/70
- Attachments for face and body
- Skin guard for extra sensitive areas included
- Versatile trimming length
Are you looking for the ‘five o’clock shadow’ look? The one that leaves a bit of hair, hence suitable for trims on sensitive skin? Grab the Philips Beard Trimmer Series 5100. For, it is nothing like your regular beard trimmer. This trimmer comprises a dual-sided blade. Hence, it trims, edges, and shaves a beard on sensitive skin without scraping it. It is an excellent choice for stubble.
- OneBlade shaving technology
- Uses two Blades, four stubble combs, a trimming comb, and a skin guard
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries
- Trimming length between 0.4mm to 10mm
- 1-hour cordless use with every 4 hours charge
- 100% Waterproof
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
What We Like
- Ideal for face and body
- Includes a skin guard for sensitive skin areas
- Delivers long strokes with minimal pressure
- Great value for your money
- Long-lasting battery
- Easy to use for edging and detailing
Tips on Handling Sensitive Skin When Trimming a Beard
- Cleanse and moisturize your face each morning and night. Opt for skin products that are free from alcohol, perfumes, or scents.
- Exfoliate your face at least once a week.
- Stay hydrated. Sensitive skin worsens when dry. Apart from a topical moisturizer, take lots of water to stay hydrated from within.
- Invest in extra blades that are specific for sensitive skin.
- Shave your beard less often.
- Apply an aftershave after every shave.
- Protect your face from the elements. Opt for sunscreens that are free of chemical ingredients.
Maintaining a healthy-looking beard when you have sensitive skin doesn’t have to be tough. With the right grooming tools, you can achieve the look you want in an affordable and stress-free way. Start by getting the best beard trimmer for sensitive skin. Then, maintain a healthy diet, exercise, and an active lifestyle.