Straightening thick and wavy hair can be a challenge, but it doesn’t have to be that way. If you’ve been dreaming of silky smooth hair, the solution is a proper hair straightener that works with your hair type.
You probably already know how important it is to use a proper hair dryer, and we already handpicked the best hair dryers for damaged hair. This is an important tool to drying your hair quickly and easily, before using the straightener to even out waves and get that fabulous look you’ve been desiring for such a long time.
We already have guides on finding the best hair straighteners for curling, and if you have thin hair you should look into these hair straighteners. There’s basically one for every type of hair, so make sure you pick the right one.
This buying guide focusses on hair straighteners for thick wavy hair, so read and see our recommendations!
Our Top Picks
xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener
- Works well on most hair types
- Large plates mean higher efficiency
- Travel case included
The Xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener works magic on thick or coarse hair. For, it has extra-wide plates that keep the heat of between 265°F and 445°F for long. Meaning, you can alternate between 10 heat settings. Indeed, the flat iron glides through all types of hair, giving you the precise straight hair you want. Besides, it heats your hair from the inside, retaining its moisture. This way, it minimizes hair damage with keeping your hair straightened for longer.
- 2-inch ceramic-tourmaline floating plates
- 10 Heat settings
- 90-seconds infrared heat up technology
- The 60-second auto-shutoff feature
- 8-foot long 360 degree swivel cord
- LCD temperature display
What We Like
- Gets rid of frizzes without damaging hair
- Excellent on light, regular, and coarse hair
- Creates a smooth and shiny glow on your hair
- Quite powerful on most cumbersome tangles
- Broad dual plates that keep heat for longer
- Fast results on very thick hair
- Automated shutoff feature that kicks in after 2 hours of inactivity
- Two years manufacturer warranty
- Includes a convenient heat-resistant travel case and a dual voltage plug
Remington S5500 1″ Anti-Static Flat Iron
- Ceramic plates make it glide perfectly
- Rotating cord makes sure it doesn’t get in the way
The Remington S5500 1” Anti-Static Flat Iron is a longer than most hair straightener. It uses floating ceramic plates and digital controls to deliver straight strands. Hence, it heats up to 410°F in less than 30 seconds to create stick-straight hair in one pass. Besides, its anti-static blades are excellent at keeping off frizzes and flyaways.
- 1-inch floating ceramic plates
- Titanium protection coating
- Anti-static technology
- 60 minutes auto-shutoff feature
- Six heat settings
- LCD temperature display
- Hinge locks for safe storage
What We Like
- Uses floating ceramic plates that glide over thick hair
- Makes curls and straightens hair quickly
- 30% longer than most flat irons, straightens coarse hair faster
- Ensures there is no heat damage or excessive drying of hair
- Auto shutoff feature makes it safe for home use
- Great value for your money
Hair Straighteners FAQs
Q. How do I know that a hair straightener for thick hair is appropriate for my hair?
A. Pick a hair straightener that is befitting thick hair. Then, use the below checklist to confirm that it is ideal for you:
- Is it your right size?
Flat irons vary in widths and sizes to suit both long and short thick wavy hair. Pick a small version of the flat iron you want if you have spikes and bangs. Long thick hair calls for more lengthy hair straighteners.
- Does it have all the features to deliver straight strands? The typical traits include:
- Meet an optimal temperature of between 350F and 450F for best results
- Adjustable heat settings to set the temperature ideal for your hair
- Bigger plates for longer hair
- Interchangeable plates for versatile use
- Negative ion technology that leaves a shine on thick curly hair
- A comfortable cord length that allows you to maneuver the flat iron with ease
- A non-slip grip
- Lightweight especially when you intend to use the flat iron for extended periods
- Digital fingertip controls on either side of the hair straightener. These prevent accidental adjusting of the heat settings
- Is it suitable for your lifestyle?
Do you live a fast-paced lifestyle? Then, pick a hair straightener with instant heat functions. It will save you time when preparing for work every morning. If you are a swimmer or get your hair wet quite often, go for a flat iron with in-built comb teeth. It will help you detangle your hair faster. Other flat irons include the cordless alternatives. They are great for persons who multitask when doing their hair. Finally, are you a backpacker? Insist on flat irons with extended manufacturer warranties. They will save you money as they last for several years.
Q. What are the best heating plates a hair straightener for thick wavy hair should have?
A. The ceramic and titanium plates are popular with flat irons for thick hair or coarse hair. First, ceramic plates feature in affordable flat irons. They redistribute infrared heat energy consistently and evenly along all strands. And, since they do not overheat, they are ideal for all types of hair.
Ceramic plates are very smooth. Hence, they will not pull or snag on thick hair. This way, there are no split ends or flyaways. Besides, it saves time when working on kinky hair. Yet, ceramic blades can be delicate. They often chip or break due to poor handling.
Unless it is a full ceramic plate and not a ceramic-coated plate, the ceramic coating tends to peel off over time. Hence, if you opt for flat irons with ceramic plates, insist on the full ceramic ones.
In contrast, high-end flat irons use titanium plates. They heat up faster than the ceramic ones. Hence, they are your best pick for thick wavy hair. Plus, they keep their heat for longer. That way, you’ll achieve consistent straight strands in the shortest time possible.
All in all, titanium blades are of lightweight design. Hence, they are manageable on demanding strands. Next, they use an ionic charge that keeps the hair smooth. In turn, you’ll run fewer strokes and still achieve the results you want.
Most manufacturers vouch for their products as the best to straighten your type of hair. Yet, when you go shopping with an informed perspective, it is easy to sift through the fake and the real deal. We hope this guide is equipping you for a better shopping experience.