You’ve probably seen a loveseat—a couch or a sofa that can only seat two people, but have you ever wondered why it is called so? This article is all about the loveseat: what it is, where it came from, how it came to be called a loveseat, and how you can use it in your home.
A loveseat is a small sofa
If you’ve browsed through furniture shops, you’ve probably seen the different kinds of sofas they have. Some are big enough to hold huge groups of people, some come in a standard size, while some of them seem smaller.
Among these smaller sofas is the loveseat, a chair that looks like a small sofa but is designed for two people to sit comfortably. Loveseats are perfect for small homes where there isn’t much space for a regular-sized couch in the living room. They can fill out a corner that might look a little bit odd or an empty space in your home. It can also be used to complement a larger sofa (in case you do have a big living room) or provide additional seating in a bedroom.
Why is it called a loveseat?
In the old days, a loveseat was a large chair with two seats set to face each other, thus creating an “S” shape. It was invented in the 17th century and was built to create a more comfortable seating for women who were wearing large dresses with hoops.
The loveseat was named so because it was also a perfect way for couples who were courting to get to know each other while maintaining an appropriate distance and preserving their image. Loveseats were witness to many intimate conversations and people could sit facing one another and be close enough to hold hands.
The first loveseats, however, did not have the upholstery and cushioning that they have these days. They were often made of wood and looked very simple, nevertheless, they were a status symbol of elitism, and could only be found in the homes of upper-class people.
As the years went by and women’s dresses slimmed down, loveseats gained more popularity as they were seen as a space-saving measure since they were a lot smaller than traditional sofas. From their unique S-shape, they evolved into the Boudoir style (something that looks similar to the loveseats of today), but still retained their romantic feel.
The many uses of a loveseat
Loveseats don’t have to be used solely in living rooms. They can also serve as a sitting area for other rooms. Here are the following places where you can use love seats.
- Bedroom seating – If you have additional space in your bedroom, you can put a loveseat there so you have additional seating. Sometimes, a loveseat can take the place of a bench by the edge of a bed. Sometimes, you can place it facing your bed or next to a window.
- Changing room seating – If you have a changing room or walk-in closet, a loveseat is the perfect kind of sofa to place there. It’s just the right size and you can sit on it while changing shoes or getting ready just before you go out.
- Hallway seating – Hallways are often narrow places with barely any seating space. Nevertheless, if you have a little space and you want to place a little sitting area where guests can stay on as they put on their shoes or so it doesn’t look too empty, a loveseat is a good idea. It’s a little bigger than a bench, but a lot more comfortable.
- Small living room – Do you live in a dorm or apartment where there isn’t much space but you want comfortable seating? A loveseat might be the perfect solution for you so it doesn’t take up too much space.
- Bathroom seating – Some bathrooms come with just enough space to place a bench or a loveseat. You can sip a glass of champagne on this while preparing for a warm, cozy bubble bath.
- Nursery/kids’ room – It’s a great idea to place a loveseat in your nursery or child’s room. It will provide the right kind of seating while not taking up too much floor space where your child can play. You can also cuddle your baby or read your children some stories on the loveseat.
- Restaurant seating – If you’re the owner of a cafe or a restaurant, loveseats are a great idea for seating. It makes the atmosphere chic, cozy, and chill.